FLM Fiber Link Module
10G EPON Extender Module for Opti Max™ Fiber Nodes in Centralized Access Networks
The ARRIS Fiber Link Module (FLM) leverages existing HFC fiber and node installations to prepare these traditional networks for high-speed 10G and 1G EPON operation. Residing between the OLT and the PON optical splitter in the outside plant network, the FLM uses a wide range of pluggable SFP+ CWDM and DWDM optics to combine multiple PON service groups onto a single fiber, eliminating the need for predefined upstream and downstream wavelengths for 10G and 1G EPON. The SFP+ modules also extend the reach of the PON network by enabling link lengths of up to 40 km (for OTL designs with optical link loss budgets of up to 13 dB) or 80 km (for OTL designs with optical link loss budgets between 8 dB and 20 dB) to the fiber node. With greater reach and better PON density per fiber, cable operators can leverage their current infrastructures to minimize the capital investment required for new FTTx networks.
The FLM divides the PON network into Optical Trunk Link (OTL) and the Optical Distribution Network (ODN) links. The OTL is the optical link between the OLT and the FLM, and the ODN is the optical link between the FLM and the ONUs, including the optical splitter(s). Using pluggable SFP+ modules, the OTL is the link that allows multiple 10G EPON service groups to share a common fiber; the FLM operates as an O-E-O repeater, which facilitates this wavelength conversion. The ODN Link uses standard 10G EPON wavelengths and PR30 class optics, which are compatible with standard ONUs.
Note: specifications are subject to change without notice.
- Compatible with Opti Max™ OM2741, OM4100, OM4120, and OM6000 nodes and Trans Max® hubs
- Support for up to eight FLM modules in a single Trans Max hub housing
- Extends PON networks beyond typical 10 to 20 km service distances to 40 or 80 km from OLT to fiber node
- Since distance from fiber node to customer premise is typically < 5 km, the FLM easily supports PON splits to 128
- Aggregates multiple PONs onto a single fiber utilizing CWDM and DWDM wavelength multiplexing
- Provides maximum network flexibility by supporting 10/10G or 10/1G EPON networks
- Completely vendor agnostic: works with any 10G EPON OLT and ONU
Get Connected to the Access Technologies Resource Center where you can find Manuals, Quick Guides, Data Sheets, Videos and much more!