A solid DOCSIS 3.1 migration plan starts with evaluating your existing network to see what hardware, software, and configuration changes it needs to be compliant with DOCSIS 3.1.
A network readiness evaluation typically reviews:
- CMTS capabilities. Can your CMTS be upgraded to a DOCSIS 3.1 compatible CCAP device to support your service goals for each Service Group?
- Core to edge routing capabilities. Are sufficient ports and capacity available? Is appropriate system software installed?
- Operations support system (OSS) and Business support system (BSS). Are your back-office and customer-facing systems ready to fully support DOCSIS 3.1 service levels?
- Inside plant. Are components in the RF path of the inside plant ready for DOCSIS 3.1? Are power levels, attenuation levels, and input/output levels sufficient? Are there any physical obstructions for new cable installation and is rack space sufficient?
- Outside plant. Does HFC infrastructure from the fiber node to the homes passed in the RF path capable of supporting the basic DOCSIS 3.1 configuration of 1 GHz+ forward spectrum and 85 MHz+ return spectrum?